What is Autoimmune Thyroid Disease?
The most common autoimmune thyroid disease in the world is Hashimoto’s Disease. This condition, which is also known as Hashimoto’s autoimmune thyroiditis, occurs when the body’s immune system attacks the thyroid gland, causing chronic inflammation and, if left unchecked, destruction of the gland itself.
The most common effect of this condition is hypothyroidism, or underactive thyroid. Though it is estimated that 90% of all cases of hypothyroidism are caused by this autoimmune thyroid disease, it is often overlooked.
What are the Causes of Autoimmune Thyroid Disease?
In his book, The Complete Thyroid Health and Diet Guide Dr. Nikolas R. Hedberg examines the underlying causes that trigger the attacks seen in cases of autoimmune thyroid disease. It is important to recognize that the symptoms of the condition, which may include fatigue, weight gain, memory loss, insomnia, irritable bowel syndrome, asthma or allergies, are signs of a dysfunctional immune system. Autoimmune thyroid disease itself may be triggered by a variety of different agents, including:
- Candida and other yeasts
- Molecular mimicry (a result of food allergies or chronic infection)
- Infections such as Epstein-Barr Virus, Helicobacter Pylori and Yersinia Enterocolitica
- Insulin resistance
- Vitamin D and selenium deficiency
- Gluten intolerance or Celiac disease or other food sensitivities
- Exposure to environmental toxins, such as mercury
- Damaged barrier systems, such as “Leaky gut” syndrome
You should never try to self diagnose or attempt to treat your autoimmune thyroid disease. Seek out a practitioner who will do the in depth investigation necessary to uncover the underlying cause of your imbalance and then help you restore and renew your health using targeted natural solutions.
Consult with Dr. Hedberg About Autoimmune Thyroid Disease
Patients who have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, particularly those who continue to have symptoms after taking medications, need to be thoroughly evaluated to see if autoimmune thyroid disease is at the root of the problem.
Dr. Hedberg is a practitioner of functional medicine with years of experience researching the thyroid and helping patients with autoimmune thyroid disease and other thyroid related conditions. You can consult with Dr. Hedberg either in his office, or by phone or Skype from anywhere in the USA or internationally.
Click here to watch an excellent webinar on autoimmune thyroid disease.
- What is Hashimotos Disease?
- Hypothyroid Symptoms
- Hashimoto Thyroiditis Disease
- Diet for Hashimoto Disease
- Gluten and the Thyroid
- Hashimoto Symptoms
- Diet for Hypothyroidism
- Thyroid Symptoms in Women
- Diet for Thyroid
- Thyroid and Hair Loss
- Foods for Low Thyroid
- Gluten and Hashimoto Disease
- Natural Remedies for Thyroid
- Thyroid Problems and Weight
- Autoimmune Thyroid Disease
- Thyroid Symptoms in Men
- Hypothyroidism and Hair Loss
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Diet
- Alternative Treatment for Hypothyroidism
- Thyroid Problems and Hair Loss
- Thyroid Disease Diet
- Hashimoto’s Treatment